Don't let the long ingredient list prevent you from preparing this recipe; make it the day before.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds coarsely ground venison
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 dried chile peppers, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Toppings: sour cream, sliced green onions, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sliced ripe olives
BROWN sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Drain on paper towels, and slice.
COOK bacon in Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, reserving half of drippings. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
COOK reserved drippings over medium heat until hot. Add venison, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Stir in sausage, bacon, jalapeno peppers, and next 8 ingredients.
BRING to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes. Add beans, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.