This is how my mother in law makes beef stew and she is from Alabama. As southern as you can get. Do not use generic tomatoes, they make this bland. I use arm shoulder roast and cut it up cause some beef stew meat is too tough. You can also make this with
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef, and quickly brown on all sides. Pour in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, and stewed tomatoes. Add the okra, lima beans and corn. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.
Simmer for about 1 hour. Add potatoes, and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes, or until meat is very tender.
If you can find a frozen vegetable Gumbo mix, you may substitute that for the vegetables.