You'll find many uses for this versatile pasta sauce. Let tomatoes, garlic, sugar, parsley, garlic powder, oregano and basil go for a nice, slow simmer with zesty jolt of flavor from capers and crushed red pepper.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
In a large saucepan combine crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, minced garlic, sugar, parsley, garlic powder, salt, oregano, basil, and ground black pepper. Add capers and crushed red pepper if desired. Cover. Bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer, with cover, for 45 to 60 minutes.
As simmering time nears, in a large pot with boiling salted water cook spaghetti until al dente.
Toss spaghetti with cooked sauce. Serve warm.