Chicken, vegetables, rice and tomatoes simmer with just the right seasonings that keeps them coming back for more.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot, not smoking. Add chicken pieces and saute until browned, about 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet, then add onion and bell pepper and saute, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
Add rice and saute about 2 minutes, stirring, to coat the rice with the oil. Then add the reserved chicken, tomatoes with liquid, chicken broth, bay leaf, paprika and ground black pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf and serve.