Beef stew meat is simmered with mixed vegetables in beef stock and beer in this hearty soup seasoned with thyme, bay leaf and brown sugar.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup beer
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 ounce) can mixed vegetables, drained
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C).
In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter or margarine. Cook beef in two batches until browned, stirring often. Remove beef from Dutch oven and set aside. Stir in flour.
Add broth, beer, onion, garlic, brown sugar, thyme and bay leaf. Heat to boil. Return beef to dish. Cover and bake at 350 degree F(175 C) for 1 1/2 hours.
Add mixed vegetables. Cover and bake for 1 hour, or until beef is done. Remove bay leaf and serve.