Vegetables lightly sauteed are combined with Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, green chilies and corn in this recipe using canned black and kidney beans.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen shoepeg corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Stir in broth, sugar, corn, beans, tomatoes, and chilies; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
This soup can also be prepared in a crock pot. Combine everything in the pot, and cook on HIGH for the first hour. Turn the temperature down to LOW, and cook 7 more hours.