Got a hankering for Tex-Mex? Green chiles, tomatoes and chicken layer with tortillas in this easily assembled dish.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
In a medium sauce pan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Stir in flour. Add broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in chilies and tomatoes.
Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Place 1 cup sauce in bottom of pan. Layer half the chicken, half the tortilla strips, and 1 1/4 cups sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Top casserole with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 45 minutes.