This slow cooker stew has beef, mixed beans, carrots, celery, potatoes and tomatoes seasoned with cayenne, dry mustard, oregano and red wine.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup dry mixed beans
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
- 1 dash hot sauce
Rinse and pick through beans and place in a medium saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, then remove from heat, cover and let soak 2 hours. Drain and rinse.
In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine beans, stew meat, broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and onions. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, oregano, mustard and hot sauce. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.