This seven-layer salad takes some inspiration from the salads they sell at Boots grocers in England (pasta shells and julienned carrots) and some inspiration from my grandmother (curry powder and brown sugar). This makes a really refreshing, flavorful sa
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups small seashell pasta
- 4 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 head leaf lettuce - rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water to cool.
Place the carrots in an even layer in the bottom of a large glass bowl, preferably one that is roughly the same diameter from top to bottom. Place the lettuce in a layer over the carrots. Combine the cucumber, peas and corn; spread in a layer over the lettuce. Once the pasta is cooled and drained, then spread that out over the top.
In a smaller bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, brown sugar, curry powder, and garlic salt. Spread this carefully over the pasta. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.