This is a great recipe my husband loves to make - it's a whole meal in it self and very simple to put together. Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans, divided
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
In a large skillet or frying pan, cook chorizo, onion and garlic over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is done. Drain off grease, stir in chilies and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 10 inch pie plate.
Place 2 tortillas in pie plate. Spread half of the sausage mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Place 2 tortillas on top of cheese. Spread with beans. Place 2 tortillas on beans and place peppers on tortillas. Place 2 tortillas on top of peppers. Spread with remaining sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and center is hot. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.