A tangy relish that's a nice variation on the more traditional cranberry sauce. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 green chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and chopped
In a large saucepan combine the apple cider vinegar, chopped onion, chopped apple, golden raisins, sugar, lemon juice, chili, ginger, lemon peel, coriander and cloves. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes. Add the persimmons and simmer until the persimmons are tender about 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate chutney. May be made a day or two ahead.