Your choice of pork sausage - mild, sweet or spicy - will determine the ultimate character of this satisfying sausage, rice and vegetable dish. Bell peppers, celery, onion, tomatoes, green chile peppers and stuffed olives add fragrant overtones.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (6.8 ounce) package Spanish-style rice mix
- 1/4 cup sliced stuffed green olives
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the green bell pepper, celery and onion in the oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
Add the sausage, water, tomatoes and green chiles, rice, olives and ground black pepper. Mix well and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.