This wonderfully hearty soup is great for chilly fall or winter nights. Three types of beans and plenty of vegetables combine in this flavorful medley. Dry beans may be substituted, but will require soaking overnight.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15.25 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 15 ounces tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 cups water
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup red wine
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Place onion and garlic in the saucepan and slowly cook and stir until tender and browned.
Place the great northern beans, red kidney beans, black beans, celery, carrots, potatoes, tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, brown sugar, thyme, water and vegetable bouillon in the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat approximately 25 minutes. As the mixture thickens, stir in the red wine.