Delicate vermicelli and peas combine with hearty onion and bell pepper in a spicy tomato sauce topped with processed cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 7 ounces vermicelli pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby peas, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) package processed cheese, shredded
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add chicken breasts and boil until cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken from pot, chop into bite size pieces and set aside.
Strain remaining cooking broth, return to pot and bring to a boil. Break pasta in half (will make it easier to mix) and add to boiling broth. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, saute onion and bell pepper in butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Add tomatoes with green chile peppers, sauteed onion/bell pepper mixture, peas and reserved chicken to pasta. Top with cheese and mix together well.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Pour chicken mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes.