Spinach and crumbled tofu, combined with a delicious blend of sauteed onions and garlic, ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, egg whites, pepper and parsley, are layered with lasagna noodles and tomato sauce for a refreshing, baked casserole.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 pound firm tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 cups tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil, adding water as needed to keep from sticking.
Combine the ricotta, tofu, Parmesan cheese, spinach, egg whites, black pepper, parsley, and sauteed onion and garlic. Mix well.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Arrange a layer of cooked noodles on the bottom. Top with 1/3 each of the ricotta mixture, the mozzarella and the tomato sauce. Repeat layers twice more, ending with tomato sauce. Cover with foil.
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 more minutes.