A delicious tomato, spinach, and black bean sauce is served over whole wheat rotini pasta.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rotini, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Reduce heat, and mix in spinach, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir in the black beans and broccoli. Continue to cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir the tomatoes into the saucepan, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Serve over the cooked pasta. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.