A beet vinaigrette is drizzled over baby spinach leaves and walnuts coated with caramelized sugar. Goat cheese brings a final element of distinction to this elegant salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 (15 ounce) can pickled beets
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
In small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the walnuts and sugar until walnuts are lightly browned and sugar is caramelized. Thoroughly coat the walnuts with the sugar.
In a blender or food processor, blend the beets with cider vinegar, bouillon granules, garlic powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Gradually blend in the oil.
In a large bowl, toss together the sugar-coated walnuts and spinach. Before serving, drizzle with the blended beat mixture, toss, and sprinkle with goat cheese.