A vivid green assortment of fresh peas are lightly cooked and piled into a bed of red radicchio leaves for an elegant and quick spring salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh shelled green peas
- 1/2 cup low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium head radicchio
In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the green peas and the broth, and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the snap peas, snow peas and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for about 3 more minutes.
Remove the inner leaves from the radicchio and spread the outer leaves out to make a bowl. Fill the hollow with the pea mixture and garnish with additional Italian parsley.