Stuffing mix is augmented with fresh yellow squash (or zucchini) and melted cheese. This is a great holiday side dish, but it's also a nice treat on a cool evening at the end of summer.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) package dry bread stuffing mix
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package processed cheese food, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix the squash, cream of celery soup, and onion.
Spread about 3/4 cup stuffing mix in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and top with half the squash mixture. Season with pepper, and sprinkle with half the processed cheese food. Repeat the layers, and top with the remaining stuffing mix. Evenly arrange butter slices over the surface, and pour water over all.
Cover, and bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.