Butternut squash, apples, potatoes and ginger make this a hearty, healthy soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted pecans
In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until softened. Add squash, apples, potato, ginger and pepper; stir in water. Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
In food processor or blender, puree soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Return to saucepan. Stir in apple cider and brown sugar; heat to boiling. Garnish with dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with pecans.