Browned cubes of steak are sauteed with chopped onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers in this kidney bean chili seasoned with cumin and chili powder.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds steak - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil and steak and saute for about 5 minutes, or until steak is browned. Add the onions, garlic and chile pepper and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomatoes and kidney beans. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about one hour. Remove cover and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until you've reached your desired thickness.