Fresh mussels are steamed in a cream broth flavored with fennel, tomato, and Greek ouzo.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel - trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt to taste
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic, and cook until tender. Stir in fennel and tomato, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
Mix white wine, ouzo, and heavy cream into the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Gradually stir in mussels, 1/2 the basil, and salt.
Cover saucepan, and continue cooking about 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Garnish with remaining basil to serve.