'Steamed' in Bahamian food isn't done with water. Instead it is when food is seasoned with onion, green pepper, and either tomato paste or ketchup. This is a great Bahamian recipe using canned tuna. Great with white rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir until limp. Reduce the heat to medium, and stir in the seasoned salt, rosemary and ketchup. Simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly brown. Mix in the tuna, and cook for about 5 more minutes to blend the flavors before serving.