Here's an easy way to get low-fat protein (in the chicken breast) and lots of vitamins (in the scallions, peppers and pineapple). Plus, the dab of fresh ginger soothes stomachs and fights inflammation and blood clots.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweetened Asian wine)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oil, preferably sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 6 large green onions, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pepper strips
- 1 (20 ounce) can chunk pineapple in juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Combine first six ingredients; stir well.
Heat oil in a large skillet and stir-fry chicken until brown and done, about 5 minutes. Remove. Add green onions, peppers and pineapple to the skillet; heat through. Pour in sauce and stir until thickened. Return chicken to skillet; heat through. Serve with brown rice; top with optional almonds.