Beautiful cookies shaped and colored to look just like strawberries. Pefect for spring festivals and holidays.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup red decorator sugar
- 1 (4.5 ounce) tube prepared green decorating icing
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the butter, sugar, eggs and dates. Cook for 5 minutes, or until butter is melted and sugar is completely dissolved. Gradually stir in the flour and salt, and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, almonds and crispy rice cereal until well blended. Roll pieces of dough into strawberry shapes. Roll the berries in red sugar and pipe a green leaf on top using a leaf tip attachment with frosting tube or pastry bag.