Brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon form a sweet streusel topping.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 pounds cooking apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 (15 ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup regular oats, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
COMBINE first 5 ingredients; set aside.
FIT pie crust into a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Spoon apple mixture into pie crust, and cover with aluminum foil.
BAKE at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender.
COMBINE 1/2 cup brown sugar and next 3 ingredients; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Uncover pie, and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake 30 more minutes or until browned.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.