Creole-inspired stuffed bell peppers made with lean ground beef, ham, shrimp, and a homemade stuffing.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 6 slices SARA LEE® Soft & Smooth™ Whole Grain White Bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound sliced turkey ham, diced
- 1 pound baby shrimp
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 large green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Toast bread cubes on baking sheets until golden brown.
Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Cook onion, celery, and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Season with parsley, Creole seasoning, file powder, and salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium high, and add ground beef. Cook until beef is evenly browned. Stir in ham, and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in toasted bread cubes and chicken broth.
Stuff each bell pepper half, and lightly sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Place stuffed bell pepper halves in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
The original recipe, N'Awlins Stuffed Bell Peppers, was submitted by NinainNO, and contains 512 calories, 23.8 g fat, 133 mg cholesterol, 827 mg sodium, 41.9 g carbohydrates, 3.2 g fiber, and 30.9 g protein.