Vegetarian stuffed crimini mushrooms topped off with broiled Gruyere cheese. This is a great appetizer for guests.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 36 crimini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 fluid ounces lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 5 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add mushrooms, and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain, and set aside to cool.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, shallot, garlic, parsley, and chives. Cover, and let the vegetables sweat for a few minutes to release the aromas. Remove from heat, and stir in the breadcrumbs and lemon juice.
Preheat the oven's broiler. Scoop out the mushroom caps, and fill with the bread crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet. Top with shredded cheese.
Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve hot.