Eggplant centers are cooked with onion, garlic, and seasonings, then re-stuffed into the eggplant, coated with tomato sauce, cheese, and bread crumbs, and baked until tender and bubbly.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and hollowed out to 1/4 inch flesh rim
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop eggplant centers, and add to pan with onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Spoon mixture back into eggplant, and sprinkle each with Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and parsley. Place in a shallow baking dish, and cover with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggplant is fork-tender and cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.