Your favorite strawberry preserves mixed with creamy ricotta cheese comprise the filling in these French toast sandwiches.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and/or blackberries)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup NESTLE® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 slices (about 3/4-inch thick) French bread
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar (optional)
- maple syrup, heated (optional)
COMBINE berries and granulated sugar in small bowl. Combine ricotta cheese and strawberry preserves in small bowl; mix well. Combine eggs, evaporated milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract in pie plate or shallow bowl; mix well.
SPREAD ricotta-preserve mixture evenly over 6 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches.
HEAT small amount of vegetable oil in large, nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, coating both sides. Cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
SPRINKLE with powdered sugar; top with berries. Serve with maple syrup.