Uncooked white rice is added to ground beef which has been sauteed with green peppers, onions and garlic in this tomato based soup seasoned with cinnamon and parsley.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Saute onion, celery, garlic, and green pepper in oil until just tender. Do not brown. Stir beef into vegetables; cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice.
Add tomatoes, juice, water, parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper to the browned beef mixture. Cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is cooked. Adjust liquid if necessary. Stir in cinnamon. Taste for seasoning. Garnish each serving with a parsley sprig.