Browned cubes of beef sirloin are sauteed with chopped green peppers, onion, cilantro, and potatoes in this tomato based stew served over a bed of cooked white rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
Brown meat in large stock pot. When meat is nearly cooked through add the onion and green pepper, and let cook for 5 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, cubed potatoes, cilantro and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Place 1/4 cup of rice on bottom of individual serving bowls. Pour soup over rice and garnish with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.