For a stunning main dish, stuff jumbo shells with a savory blend of beef and onions, then bake them between layers of tomato sauce enriched with cottage cheese, basil, oregano and garlic. Be sure to grate mozzarella over the top to make a lovely melt.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package cottage cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 tablespoon dried basil
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Cook shell pasta in a large pot with boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.
In a large skillet brown the ground beef and onions. Drain grease.
In a large bowl add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cottage cheese; stir well. Add basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir until well blended.
In the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish, cover with a half of cup of tomato sauce mixture. Stuff shells with beef mixture and place side by side in dish. Cover stuffed shells with remaining tomato sauce and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for an hour. Allow to stand for 15 minutes and serve.