Apples, raisins, and sausage bring their distinctive flavors to this irresistibly fragrant and flavorful stuffing.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 2 large Rome beauty apples - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
In a medium saucepan, boil water and stir in wild rice. Reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until water has been absorbed and rice is tender.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in sausage, onions, and celery. Cook until sausage is evenly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, and stir in mushrooms, thyme, and rosemary. Continue cooking about 2 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly browned. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, mix the sausage mixture with the cooked rice, whole wheat bread, apples, and raisins. Gradually blend in chicken broth until mixture is moistened.
Transfer mixture to a large baking dish. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.