Bacon and ground beef, with chili spices and sweet baked beans gives this dish something the old time cowboys would have appreciated. We eat them with fresh hot sourdough biscuits for a meal that really satisfies.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can baked beans
In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon pieces until browned. Crumble the ground beef into the skillet with the bacon, and stir in the green pepper and onion. Continue to cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease. Stir in the chili seasoning mix until the meat is coated.
Add the tomatoes and beans to the skillet, mix well, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. (I always put my biscuits in just then, and they finish together.)