This pie is very sweet and creamy. Lots of sugar - both white and brown - and lots of evaporated milk are mixed with flour to make this pie 's filling. It 's poured into an unbaked pie crust, topped with a smidgen of butter and nutmeg, and baked.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 1 tablespoon butter, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix the sugars, flour, and milk. Pour into crust. ( Grandma always mixed the ingredients directly in the unbaked pie crust, but I have better luck mixing it with a mixer and transferring it to the crust. )
Dot with butter and sprinkle with nutmeg to look pretty. Bake 300 - 325 degrees F (150 - 165 degrees C) for 1 hour.