A sugar-free alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. Aspartame sweetener is not heat stable so be sure to add the sweetener after the pie filling has cooled to 145 degrees F (62 degrees C).
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 16 packets aspartame artificial sweetener
In a large saucepan, combine gelatin, cornstarch, spices and salt. Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften gelatin. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture bubbles; cook and stir for 2 minutes after bubbling. Remove from heat.
In a medium bowl, gradually stir about 1 cup of cooked mixture into beaten eggs. Return to remaining mixture in saucepan and cook over low heat for 2 minutes; do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in artificial sweetener after filing has cooled to 140 degrees F (60 degrees C).
Pour mixture into pie crust; cover and chill for 6 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream if desired.