This dish can be made with shrimp, chicken or pork instead of tofu. Look for the more exotic items in the Asian foods section at your local grocery store. Adjust the pad Thai sauce ingredients to taste.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1 (12 ounce) package dried rice noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups ground peanuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground, dried oriental radish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
To prepare Pad Thai sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, blend sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and tamarind pulp.
To make Pad Thai: Soak rice noodles in cold water until soft; drain. In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, warm oil and add garlic and eggs; scramble the eggs. Add tofu and stir until well mixed; add noodles and stir until cooked.
Stir in Pad Thai sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Stir in peanuts and ground radish. Remove from heat and add chives and paprika.
Serve with lime and bean sprouts on the side.