A wonderful, tasty summer stew. My mom always made this for us in the summer - I loved it then and I love it now! Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can roma tomatoes, with juice
- 21 fluid ounces water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans, drained
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Mix in the sausages, onion, potato, green bell pepper, and garlic. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes are slightly tender.
Mix the zucchini into pot. Pour in the tomatoes and their liquid and 3/4 tomato can (21 fluid ounces) water. Season with basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, and simmer 40 minutes.
Stir the green beans into the pot, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until beans are heated through.