Peaches, tomatoes, soy sauce and vinegar create a special, fruity sweet and sour sauce over baked chicken.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces, skin removed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches, juice reserved
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken pieces, then cover and saute for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden brown and almost cooked through. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Saute onion and bell pepper in skillet until soft; set aside. In a medium saucepan combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar and 1 cup of the reserved peach syrup. Stir together, bring to a boil and cook until clear, stirring constantly; stir in peaches, tomatoes with liquid and onion/bell pepper mixture.
Pour sauce over chicken pieces, cover dish and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for another 20 minutes.