This is an adaptation of my Mom's recipe. A very colorful salad that's great any time of the year. I've also substituted frozen shrimp for canned on occasion, depending on availability.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (12 ounce) package small seashell pasta
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 25 large pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can small shrimp, drained
- 1 cup creamy salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water.
In a large bowl, combine pasta, green pepper, red pepper, onion, celery, olives and shrimp. In a separate bowl mix together: salad dressing, mustard, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper; pour over salad. Can be served immediately, but best when chilled a few hours.