Cantaloupe really stars in this delicious salad-especially if you cut pieces into that shape.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cantaloupe, seeded and peeled
- 7 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup halved green grapes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cut melon half into 1/2-in, rings. Cut rings with a 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter or into 1-in, pieces; place in a bowl. Add spinach, ham, onion and grapes. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Place sugar, orange juice, vinegar, onion, orange peel and pepper in a blender; cover and blend until smooth. With blender running, gradually add oil until slightly thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and chill. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss. Top with pecans.
© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.