Succulent seasoned pork and sweetened beets are served over a bed of hot rice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into thin 1 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 (8.25 ounce) cans sliced canned beets, juice reserved
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the garlic and ginger. Cook about 1 minute. Mix in the pork, oyster sauce, and salt.. Cook 10 minutes, stirring continuously, until pork is evenly browned.
Stir the beets, about 2/3 cup reserved beet juice, and sugar into the pork mixture. Continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes, until beets are tender. Serve over the cooked rice.