This is a sumptuous sweet potato pie with a graham cracker crust and crunchy sweet pecan topping. It makes an excellent Fall dessert.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 pound yams or sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (6 ounce) graham cracker pie crust
- Pecan Topping:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. With mixer, beat hot yams and butter until smooth. Add EAGLE BRAND® and remaining ingredients except crust and Pecan Topping; mix well. Pour into crust.
Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Pecan Topping, (recipe below).
Remove pie from oven; reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Spoon Pecan Topping on pie
Bake 25 minutes longer or until set. Cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with orange zest twist (optional). Refrigerate leftovers.
Pecan Topping: Beat together 1 egg, 2 Tbsp. each dark corn syrup and firmly packed brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. melted butter and 1/2 tsp. maple flavoring. Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans. (Use pecan topping mixture in recipe as noted above).