This recipe takes some prep time but it is worth it. Delicious!!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 pounds yellow squash, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces American cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 20 buttery round crackers, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large pot of salted water, boil squash and onions until tender.
In a saucepan, combine butter or margarine and cream; stir constantly over a low heat. Mix in cheese, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir until sauce thickens.
Place squash and onions in a 2-quart baking dish. Mix in shrimp and cheese sauce. Sprinkle casserole with cracker crumbs.
Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot.