This is a southern soul-food classic which is a snap to prepare. If okra turns you off, look elsewhere! The pickled pork gives it a great flavor so don't substitute regular ham.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 7 cups water, or as needed
- 1 pound dried baby lima beans (butter beans)
- 1 pound pickled pork shoulder, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
Combine the water, butter beans, pork, onion and garlic in a soup pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 40 minutes. Add butter, salt and pepper, and continue to boil for 20 minutes. Add okra, and cook until beans and okra are tender, about 10 minutes.