This is a quick Mexican-style pizza with refried beans and chili along with a hint of blue cheese dressing. I came up with this recipe after searching through my pantry looking for a quick family friendly meal. My two teenage kids LOVE it!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup blue cheese salad dressing
- 1 (15 ounce) can turkey chili without beans
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Stir in the milk, oil and eggs, mixing until just moist. Spread in a greased 12 inch deep-dish pizza pan, or a 10x15 inch baking pan.
Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Spread the refried beans and mayonnaise over the melted cheese. Top with blue cheese dressing, turkey chili, and remaining cheese.
Bake for 12 to 15 more minutes in the preheated oven. Top with lettuce and diced tomatoes before slicing and serving.