Tagines are stews that meld sweet and savory flavors. Release the full flavor of saffron, a spice used in Mediterranean cuisine, by crushing its threads before adding to the tagine.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Saffron, crushed (optional)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup raisins
Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, or until browned, turning once. Transfer chicken to plate; cover to keep warm.
Cook onion in same skillet 7 minutes. Add garlic salt, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, and saffron, if desired. Stir in tomatoes and honey. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in raisins. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is done.
Serve chicken stew garnished with toasted, slivered almonds and chopped fresh cilantro on a bed of couscous, if desired.