This recipe is my modified version of several lasagnas I have tried over the years. My family really likes this one. Even the picky kids. It is a little time consuming, but well worth it.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft. Stir in ground beef, and cook until evenly brown. Drain excess fat. Season with Italian seasoning, rosemary, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Simmer 1 hour, or until sauce has thickened.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and translucent. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese, then milk. Cook, stirring, until thick. Allow to cool, then stir in egg. (Sauce will be very thick.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In prepared baking dish, place a layer of noodles, meat sauce, cheese sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Build to your desired thickness, or make another smaller pan for freezing.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.