A coleslaw adapted to the South Beach diet that replaces the typical mayonnaise-based dressing with cumin-scented lime juice sweetened with no calorie sweetener.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (e.g., Splenda ®)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 large carrot, julienned
- 1/4 large head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 large head coarsely chopped red cabbage
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, sweetener, salt, and pepper until well combined and sweetener is completely dissolved. Add green and red cabbages, green onions, and carrots, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop. Serve chilled.